Friday, August 31, 2012

Learning to be a Wife

First photograph as a wife! 

As in most situations in my life, I like to do things out of order.  Give me a to-do list, I'll get it done in some scatterbrained sequence.  Unloading a dishwasher, I will remove some on top, then bottom, then forks, back to bottom, etc.

Blogging appears to reflect the above.

This post should have been first.


My real reason for a blog is because my husband and I made the decision even before our engagement that we wanted  our marriage and future family to reflect God's design for these things, even if that means "going against the grain" and looking weird.

One of the biggest decisions this affected was my job.  I went to school for Elementary Education and graduated this past spring.  Right before student teaching began he proposed and that's when the decision making began!  Our wedding date was set for July 20 of that same year.

We started considering what would be best for our marriage.  The question evolved: would our marriage be better or worse if I committed to full time teaching?  For us, the answer was worse.

At this, we discussed other options for what I would do with my time.  Some of the options included tutoring, teaching assistant positions, even apprenticing at a florist to learn how to make flower arrangements (I kind of really like flowers).  After talking with a family who invested in us a lot during our engagement, we knew the best decision was for me to work for that family as a training opportunity to learn how to be a wife and mother.

If we go to school since we are 4 to be well equipped for whatever profession we choose, I realized how important it is to train to be a wife and mother even more.  I want to be a great wife and mother above being great in a career.

This is what we felt was best for our family given our situations, personalities, and where God has us.  Nothing wrong with a great career, but I did not have the capacity for both at the time of our wedding.

This where the blog came from!  I know absolutely nothing about being a wife.  This serves as a way to document what I am learning, gain wisdom from people who are ahead of me, and hopefully, help women who are in a similar spot as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment