Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Learning to Learn From Other People

Sums up why my mom made me learn to drive in a graveyard.  She was wise.

I have always considered myself a person who must learn things the hard way, even if someone advises me in the correct way to go about something.  There are tons of excuses I could share that would maybe justify my actions, but really when I don't listen to people that are much wiser than me, I'm just a stubborn fool.

Mostly these sensible, unappreciated people were my parents.  Whether it was learning to drive, studying for school, or dating, the situations resulted in a humbling, apologetic, "Okay...  you were right."

Now that I am married, I should maybe grow up a little and stop holding onto my pride.

My next few posts are devoted to the lessons I am trying to avoid learning the hard way and rather actually listen to people!  David (Shook) and I were proactive in our engagement to learn as much as we could about marriage.  We wanted to prepare and start it off well, but as someone  told me, "Nothing prepares you for marriage like marriage."

While we couldn't anticipate a lot of it, soaking up the advice given to us from other married couples has been A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.  I attribute our lack of bickering, blow up fights, and all together confusion to people way smarter than us.

Stay tuned for the super practical and foundational ideas that were given to us.


Other posts in this series:
Learning from Others: Part 1
Learning from Others: Part 2
Learning from Others: Part 3

2 comments:

  1. Where was that photo taken? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was taken in Covington, KY near The Madison Event Center. Our wedding photographer found it and it was perfect!

      Delete