Monday, July 29, 2013

8 Things I Didn't Know About Childbirth

Giving birth to Gwen came a little sudden to say the least!  I hadn't taken any birthing classes or even a hospital tour.  Maybe these are common knowledge, but here are 8 things I didn't know about giving birth!

1. When they break your water, it is no where near like peeing your pants.
It is like a waterfall.  If it breaks on its own maybe it is less surprising.  I was shocked at the amount of water this girl lived in!

2. The IV bag goes everywhere with you.
I had visions of laboring by walking around freely.  You of course can walk around but you must take the IV with you. That means taking the big metal rack thing they attach it to with you as well.  I did not feel as "free" as I had hoped!

3. Epidurals compared to contractions do not hurt at all.  
You would think a large needle going into your spine would hurt.  Not for me.  It felt a little like a bee sting, but that was way better than how horrible my contractions were.  

4. They numb the area before giving you an epidural.
This probably would have been helpful to know before going into labor.  It makes the epidural way less intimidating.

5. The doctor has a lot of crazy tools someone sets up...
Like scalpels and other crazy things.  Don't look at it.  I averted my eyes and David told me about it later.

6. Pushing is not as intuitive as you would think.
With having an epidural, I could not feel a thing.  I had the knowledge for what pushing was supposed to be like, but when you can't feel anything, its pretty difficult!

7. They may put an oxygen mask on you.
 It freaked me out and it actually made it harder for me to breathe.  I was a spaz though, you probably would be fine.

8. Having a good nurse is crucial.
Honestly, since I had no complications, I would say it was more important than having a good doctor.  Our nurse was amazing.  She helped us make decisions without pressuring us, encouraged me when I was about to die from the pain, and supported me when David had to leave the room during the epidural.  She was just phenomenal.  


Anything surprise you about giving birth?


No comments:

Post a Comment