Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Unplugging is Hard

This week I decided to take a break from Facebook and Instagram. A friend of mine is doing this so I figured, why not? I haven't unplugged for awhile... and it shows.

Thanks for the idea, Lauren!

I made a category for my Facebook and Instagram apps a few pages over on my phone titled, "Do not Open." I thought by adding the extra swipes maybe it would give my brain time to say, "Stop!"

Turns out avoiding social media is hard. I have added Pinterest and soon Vine to my "Do not Open" category.  I found I was just replacing my Facebook and Instagram time with other distractions. Maybe social media isn't the problem. Maybe it is something deeper.

I keep wanting to just see how many notifications I have. What if someone sent me a message? Did anyone like my cloth diaper blog post? For real. This is what my brain does.

I don't know what the "cure" is, but it's obvious Facebook isn't the culprit.

I think I look to get some sort of validation from people liking what I post on social media. I even get excited when people repin my pins on Pinterest. Haha! Like I was the one who came up with those recipes that I will never ever make, but hey, they think I have good taste!

I am only 3 or 4 days in. I don't remember if I started Saturday or Sunday!  I want to just end my unplugging and get back to posting pictures and stalking my Facebook friends. What else are you supposed to do at 3:00 a.m. when you are up with a baby?  Crazy what taking a break from these mindless things will show.

Give it a try. See what happens!

P.s. yes, I am posting this to Facebook but only because I can do it from Blogger :) I did not get on Facebook to do this and I did not check if I got any likes or comments on this post :)

1 comment: