Friday, February 1, 2013

Learning to Go Kroger-ing: Actual Trip

Carrying groceries to your third floor apartment alone sure is a work out! It is getting me in shape for carrying a car seat with a newborn though, right?

After meal planning, coupon searching, and making my list, I went to Kroger today.  My original plan was to hit Aldi first (thanks to Erin's suggestion), but I don't have a debit card and did not plan ahead well enough to remember to get cash.  Hopefully next time!

I only spent a little over a third of our grocery budget and I should only have to make one more shopping trip this month.  If I am able to save $50, I can take a sewing class with Jess, so here is to hoping I stay disciplined!   

Total Savings: 25% 
# of Coupons: 2

Biggest Problem: That darn "Buy 10, Save 5" sale.  Seriously, we have a love/hate relationship.  I love it because you can save a lot of money and it allows me to get brands I like more above the generic.  I hate it because even with careful planning on which items and how many of each to get, I either mess it up or see items I buy regularly that qualify.  It always makes me obsessively count how many items I have that apply because we all know the worst feeling is having either 9 or 11 items when you need 10.

Today my problem was the obsessive counting and how many items I love were on the sale.  I could have been seen pushing my cart into an empty aisle and counting every couple aisles, phew.  I quickly changed from the original plan of 10 items to 20.  All of them were on my list though!  

Most Exciting Sale: I needed to get deodorant so I clipped 6 different coupons and planned on comparing prices when I got there since I did not know the original prices.  One brand had a particular scent that was a close out sale item and I had a coupon for it!  Yay for cheap deodorant! 

I also got a huge pork loin roast for $7.55 and saved $5.87! Third, I bought a whole chicken to roast and use for multiple meals (thank Abby)!




No comments:

Post a Comment