Saturday, May 25, 2013

Things you CAN say to a Pregnant Woman

Often are discussed the things you just don't say to someone who is expecting.  Luckily, most people have been super kind when making pregnancy comments to me.  Through being pregnant, I have learned the go-to compliments expecting mothers love to hear.

Here is a list of things that you CAN say:

  1. You are all belly!
  2. You are so tiny!
  3. You are due in ______?!?!  You don't look like you are far enough along for that!
  4. It looks like you stuck a basketball under your shirt!
  5. Come over for dinner! (Say this especially in the 1st trimester)
  6. Here, have my seat!
  7. You don't even look pregnant from behind!
  8. Your ankles look great and not swollen at all!
  9. I hope I look like you when I'm pregnant!
  10. Oh, let me do that for you while you go rest!
  11. You are going to be a wonderful mother!
  12. Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable?
  13. I just love your baby bump!
  14. Happy Mother's Day! (This one made me giddy every time)
  15. You have the pregnancy glow!

All of the above are wonderful to hear, but my favorite thing anyone has said to me so far in pregnancy has had nothing to do with what I look like or offering help.  

The best was when a mom told me, "Welcome to motherhood.  It is amazing."

What I loved is that it focused on the joys of what a child brings and it also made me feel an overwhelming affinity with anyone else who is a mom.  I get to be a mom with them and share in how great it is!  I walked away feeling honored and that being a mom is a gift.

What did you love hearing when you were pregnant?

No comments:

Post a Comment