Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Allergist Update

Today, I finally got allergy tested!  Since I have had a rash on my face for two months and a rash all over my torso for the past few days, our hope was that this would provide some answers.

When I got there, they asked me a ton of questions about what products I use on my face and hair since most commonly the type of rash I have would be associated with those products.  I completely stumped the allergist when I explained what I use because I have not changed anything recently and everything I use is hypo-allergenic with no fragrances.

I told the doctor that I have found avoiding milk and anything containing milk seems to help.  Since none of my environmental factors or habits seemed to be the cause, they tested for the major food allergies including milk.

They tested 8 different allergens, but only one reacted.  It was no small reaction!  When the doctor came in, he was shocked by the size of the reaction and said normally that means you would have severe anaphylaxis reaction when ingested.  It was peanuts.

I always claimed to be allergic, but most people didn't believe me.  Now I have proof!

I did not react to any of the other tested foods which includes milk.  Interesting, right?

I sort of felt like this was a waste of a trip and money until he started explaining how important it is that I know about this severe of an allergy especially with being pregnant.  He explained that if I were to ingest peanuts while pregnant this would actually increase the baby's risk of allergy because of genetics.  Normally people assume you should expose your unborn baby to stuff while they are in the womb so they don't develop an allergy.  He said this may be true if you are not allergic, but because I severely am it would be a horrible idea.

This is especially true with how many allergies kids have in this upcoming generation and the severity of their reactions.  He said he has seen allergies become increasingly worse so anything I can do to prevent the baby from developing an even worse allergy is best!  

He prescribed me an epi-pen and also to stay away from all tree nuts.  After I deliver, they will do more testing for other nuts, but he did not think it would be the most accurate while I am pregnant and it would be better to wait.

Next, he was also completely confused by the type of rash on my torso.  Since it completely stops at my waist, he did not think it was an allergic reaction.  He also said it is not PUPPS.  PRAISE THE LORD!  I am sorry to anyone who ever has or will have PUPPS.  It looks and sounds horrendous.

I guess he thought my face and torso looked pretty bad because he said I need to see a dermatologist this week and was very serious about it.

When I went to the front desk where the lady was contacting a dermatologist she said the best they could do was the first week of May.  I just scheduled it and went on my way. I am not in much pain and this has been going on so long waiting another month did not seem like a big deal to me.

When I got home, the allergist called me and said he was serious about me getting in this week and that a month was too long to wait.  They miraculously got me in on Thursday!  Woo hoo!

Today I am thankful for doctors that fight for their patients!  Dr. Keitel is awesome!

This is apparently the week for doctors appointments. Allergist today, dermatologist on Thursday, and my OB on Friday.  I am also thankful for insurance :)

He did warn that we could go through all these doctors and the end conclusion be that my hormones are just crazy and there is nothing we can do.  After Friday comes and goes I may just have to accept my fate for the next 12 weeks.

They don't tell you about these types of symptoms before you get pregnant!

What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment